A woman suffered second-degree burns on her arms and legs Saturday when she poured gasoline on a brush fire and it flashed back on her, said Brookfield Fire Capt. Matt Gordon.

“She was doing OK,” Gordon said of the 65-year-old woman’s demeanor at the scene. “She was alert. She was talking. I’m sure she was in a lot of pain. She did not have life-threatening injuries.”

Gordon said the woman, whom he did not identify, was taken to a regional hospital, then transferred to the Akron Children’s Hospital Burn Center, which treats all ages.

The call came in at 5:58 p.m. from 6594 King Graves Road.

“People should not use any accelerants to start fires, but especially gasoline,” Gordon said. “It is much more volatile.”

Gordon noted gasoline presents a higher danger on hot days. Gas vapors tend to hover and can then ignite, he said.

“When it is very hot outside, it can be very explosive,” Gordon said.

A couple of years ago, a young man who was putting gasoline on a fire was badly burned, Gordon said. “It can cause a devastating injury.”