The cause of a fire that destroyed a garage Jan. 3 on Davis Street has not been determined, said Brookfield Fire Capt. James Williamson.
“It looks like it started in the garage, in, at or near the wood burner,” he said. “We don’t expect anything incendiary or anything like that.”
The value of the loss is estimated at $20,000 for the structure and $25,000 for the contents, he said.
Fire damage to the home, which was connected to the garage by a breezeway, was “minimal,” he said.
“I was in there (breezeway) and one of the guys from Sharon backed me up and we stopped it right in the kitchen,” Williamson said. “The house did sustain some smoke damage, but actual fire damage was minimal. It was caught right in the kitchen breezeway.”
Firefighters broke windows to ventilate the house.
No one was injured, and Williamson said he was contacting resident Larry Scott and the American Red Cross to see to his needs.
“He’s an over-the-road truck driver, so I think he was gonna stay in his truck,” Williamson said Jan. 4.
Sharon, Hubbard and Vienna firefighters assisted.
“Phenomenal help,” Williamson said. “Those guys did a really, really great job.”
The fire at 8192 Davis St. was dispatched at 8:52 p.m. Scott said he was in the house when the fire broke out.
“A friend of mine, she just came over, she said, ‘Your garage is on fire,’” Scott said.
Scott moved his Kenworth semi-tractor truck and his pickup, which were in the driveway in front of the garage, down the street and away from harm.
Flames shot up over the top of the garage, and attached electrical lines sparked, sending out blue, fireworks-like bursts.
Scott said he had lived in the house for about four years and had used the wood burner without problem before the fire broke out. He had a lot in the garage but, “Basically, the only thing in there I really give a (expletive) about is a motorcycle, a dirt bike.”
Scott said he had insurance.
The single-story home, built in 1960, is owned by John and Marcy Lumpp of Brookfield, according to the Trumbull County Auditor’s website.